Not a marshmallow or pound of brown sugar in sight. This sweet potato casserole is my favorite sweet potato dish for the holidays.
Gluten and Dairy Free Sweet Potato Casserole
Author: The Lean Clean Eating Machine
Recipe type: casserole
A delicious, gluten and dairy free sweet potato dish that is perfect for the holidays!
- 3 cups baked sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 2 flax ‘eggs’; 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed + 3 Tbsp. water = 1 egg
- ¼ cup virgin, unrefined coconut oil; melted
- ¼ cup organic unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk
- 1.5 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Salt to taste
- CRUMB TOPPING
- 1 cup almond meal or flour
- 2 Tbsp. coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp. 100% pure maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp. virgin, unrefined coconut oil; melted
- 2 Tbsp. organic unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup pecan halves, coarsely chopped
- To bake sweet potatoes, set oven to 450F.
- Thoroughly scrub and dry each potato, poking holes throughout to vent.
- Place potatoes in a large baking dish lined in foil or parchment paper and cook for 40 minutes. When finished, flip potatoes over and cook for another 40 minutes.
- When potatoes are soft, remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Cut a vertical line through the skin of the potatoes to remove skin.
- Place cooked potatoes in a large mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Lightly grease an 8X8 inch baking dish with a coconut oil.
- Mix in all other ingredients for the potatoes and mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into baking dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for the topping and sprinkle over potatoes.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Cook time includes baking the sweet potatoes separate from the actual casserole dish bake time