A hearty and healthy side dish that only has 1 Tbsp. of olive oil and is gluten-free. This risotto would pair great with any meal.
click ‘more’ for recipe
Wild Rice Mushroom Risotto with Toasted Pecans
Author: The Lean Clean Eating Machine
A hearty and healthy risotto that is low in fat and calories
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 cups chopped celery; leave half a cup to the side for finished dish
- ½ of a yellow onion; chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium white whole mushrooms; sliced
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- 1.5 cups uncooked wild rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ½ cup raw pecan halves, lightly toasted then chopped
- Saute onion, garlic,1 cup of celery and mushrooms in a medium-large pan, stirring often until onion and celery is tender.
- Add in wild rice and broth. Stir together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low-medium and cover with lid. Simmer for 60 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir once half way through. Cooking times can vary so keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
- When rice is finished, remove from heat and remove lid.
- Add in ½ cup chopped celery and green onions, mixing thoroughly.
- Set oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Evenly spread out pecan halves and toast for 8-10 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Chop finished pecans and add into risotto.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
You can make this recipe a day ahead, just make sure you don’t add in the pecans until you’re ready to serve.