Without a doubt, pizza is my all time favorite food. Unfortunately, it consists of just about every ingredient my stomach can’t tolerate. If you have ever tried out the store bought gluten free crusts, you probably know that finding a good one is a chore in itself, and a pretty expensive chore at that. Who wants to spend a lot of money on edible cardboard? I know I don’t. The other big downfall with store bought varieties is that I have never been able to find one as thin and crispy as I typically like my pizza crust. I really like my crust to serve as more of a vehicle for the toppings, rather than take over the whole meal. Some crust is so dense, it’s practically like eating an entire loaf of bread. It just becomes too much for me personally, so I decided it was time to create one on my own that fits my requirements and what I want in a crust. This pizza crust is just. plain. awesome. It really is the answer to everything I have been searching for, and everyone I have had try it was shocked at how good it was. It is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and yeast free. If that wasn’t enough, it is also incredibly simple to throw together. I am almost bummed I hadn’t come up with this one sooner!
The first step to making this pizza is making my ultra thin, gluten free pizza crust.
Summary: An ultra thin, gluten free pizza crust that is also dairy, egg, and yeast free.
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour (make yourself with a high speed grinder or buy)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 flax eggs (1 Tbsp. ground flax seed + 3 Tbsp. water per 1 egg)
- 1 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 dash garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a small dish, whisk 2 Tbsp. ground flax see with 6 Tbsp. water.
- Set flax seed mixture in the fridge to thicken, roughly 8-10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients together with a hand mixer.
- Add in thickened flax eggs and blend until completely smooth.
- Thoroughly grease the bottom and sides of an 8 x 12 non-stick baking dish.
- Pour dough into greased dish and spread out evenly to make a thin crust.
- If dough is too sticky, wet your hands and proceed to flatten it out.
- When finished, take a toothpick and poke small holes throughout the dough.
- Place baking dish on center rack of oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- At ten minutes, gently remove crust from baking dish and cook directly on rack.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven and add your toppings.
- When finished, return crust directly to rack and cook for 10 more minutes
- Place finished crust on a cutting board, slice, and enjoy!
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4 – 8 slices
One of my favorite pizza’s I have tried in the past was a Thai-inspired pizza Ben and I used to frequently get from a restaurant near our house. It just had such a unique flavor combination, so I wanted to recreate it and put my own spin on it. This pizza does not need any cheese what-so-ever, as the flavor from the spicy almond butter sauce is creamy enough on its’ own. As a matter of fact, you won’t even miss the cheese with this one, so it’s perfect for those who can’t or don’t do dairy.
Recipe: Gluten & Dairy Free Thai Pizza
Summary: A delicious Thai-inspired pizza that is gluten, egg and dairy free
- 1 recipe for Gluten Free Ultra Thin Pizza Crust (above)
- 3.5 Tbsp. raw almond butter
- 2 Tbsp. liquid aminos
- 3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. hot chili oil
- 1/2 red pepper; sliced or 3 mini red peppers
- 1/4 jalapeno; chopped and seeded
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro; chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions; chopped
- 1/4 yellow onion; sliced
- 1 Tbsp. raw sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup raw cashew halves
- 1/2 carrot; peeled, julienned and cut into matchsticks
- Cook pizza crust according to above recipe.
- In a small dish, combine all sauce ingredients and mix until completely smooth.
- Spread sauce over pizza crust, leaving 1/2″ border around the edges.
- Prepare all vegetables except cilantro.
- Place prepared vegetables and cashews evenly on pizza, over top of sauce.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then sprinkle on sesame seeds.
- Continue baking for 5 more minutes, or until pizza crust bottom is golden.
- Remove pizza from oven and place onto a cutting board.
- Chop fresh cilantro and put it evenly on top of pizza.
- Slice and serve.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s) – not including crust recipe
Cooking time: 10 minute(s) – not including crust recipe
Number of servings (yield): 4 – 8 slices