All of the delicious components of a Mexican feast, laid out in pizza form. How can you go wrong there? You can’t really…
Mexican pizza is one of those weird food marriages that actually really works. It is essentially one giant, deconstructed burrito, or a tostada on a larger scale. Typically, Mexican style pizza consists of refried beans, ground beef, salsa, sour cream, cheese, and a few veggies thrown in for good measure, but they also come with an astonishing amount of fat and calories per slice. It’s no surprise really, given that cheese, meat and refried beans alone pack a hefty amount of fat, but throw them on top of a buttery, flour-filled pizza crust and BAM! You’ve got yourself a day’s worth of fat and calories in one sitting.
Thankfully, it doesn’t have to be this way!
My lightened-up Mexican pizza is gluten free, dairy free (if you forgo the goat cheese on top), egg free and yeast free. Rather than using traditional refried beans made with lard or bacon fat, my no-fry refried organic black beans involve no cooking time, and contain only half a teaspoon of olive oil. My ultra thin gluten free pizza crust contains no added oil or fat, other than the naturally occurring fats found in the ground flax seed. While the image above shows this pizza with a little all-natural goat cheese on top, this ingredient is completely optional and truly not needed, especially if you want to keep this completely dairy free and vegan friendly. The flavor is plenty decadent on its’ own without the added calories and fat from the cheese, but if you do want a little cheese, goat cheese is the best way to go, as it is easier to digest than most other cheeses.
This recipe takes your favorite slice of pie south of the border, all without sacrificing your clean eating efforts. Now you really can’t go wrong there, so give this recipe a try and let me know your thoughts!
You can find the recipe for my ultra thin gluten free pizza crust here.
- 1 recipe for ultra thin gluten free baking crust (link above)
- 3 mini peppers sliced into rings or ½ of a regular pepper; sliced (I used red and orange)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro; chopped
- ¼ small red onion; thinly sliced
- 1 medium ripe tomato; thinly sliced
- ½ a small bag of organic frozen corn; thawed
- ¼ of a medium jalapeno; seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese (optional)
- ***No-Fry Refried Organic Black Beans:***
- 1 (15 oz) can organic black beans; drained and rinsed
- ½ tsp. olive oil
- 1 lime; juiced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 large clove garlic; minced
- Kosher sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F and cook ultra thin gluten free pizza crust according to recipe link above.
- In food processor, combine black beans, olive oil, garlic, lime juice, cumin and sea salt.
- Blend until desired consistency is reached. You want it to be creamy.
- Add salt to taste and set aside.
- Prepare vegetables and set aside.
- When pizza crust is ready, top pizza with a layer of your black beans, then add on the rest of your toppings, except for the cilantro and green onions. Top with goat cheese if desired (optional).
- Place pizza directly on rack and bake for a total of 10 minutes, or until bottom of crust is golden.
- When finished, top pizza with fresh cilantro and green onions before serving.