Today kicks off a super exciting addition to this blog, especially as we (hopefully) start moving into warmer weather, and try to shape up for spring!
‘Under 400’ is a series of meal and snack recipes I have developed that are all under 400 calories, and perfect for those wanting to shape up, but aren’t sure where to start when it comes to food. This will be an ongoing series that I will continue to update, and I have even created a category for these recipes specifically, which you can find under the ‘recipes’ tab.
My first recipe to induct into the Under 400 club is my Under 400 Superfood Salad.
This recipe is an adaptation from one of my favorite salads I get at Whole Foods by the same name.
It combines a refreshing mix of baby kale, purple cabbage, shredded carrot, raw cashew halves, raw sunflower seeds, goji berries, blueberries and an acai berry dressing.
It is loaded with antioxidants and bright, mineral rich veggies. The protein from the cashew halves and sunflower seeds also make this salad a great energy booster.
The best thing about this salad is that it comes in at only 350 calories total – dressing included!
- ***Dressing: (This recipe makes 1 oz. = 50 CALORIES)***
- 1 tsp. garlic; minced
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. acai juice
- ½ tsp. raw apple cider vinegar
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups of baby kale or any kale (45 CALORIES)
- ¾ cup blueberries; fresh or frozen; thawed if frozen (80 CALORIES)
- ½ oz. (3 tsp.) purple cabbage; finely sliced (3 CALORIES)
- ¼ oz. (1.5 tsp.) dried goji berries – (22.5 CALORIES)
- ½ oz. (3 tsp.) raw cashew halves – (78.5 CALORIES)
- ¼ oz. (1.5 tsp.) Raw Hulled Sunflower Seeds – (40 CALORIES)
- ½ oz. (3 tsp.) carrot shreds- (12.5 CALORIES)
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine kale, cabbage, nuts, goji berries and carrot shreds. Mix to thoroughly combine.
- Add in blueberries.
- In a small dish, whisk together dressing ingredients and pour finished dressing over salad.
- Toss to evenly coat and serve.