If you have been here since my early days of blogging, you have probably heard me mention how much I love Kimberly Snyder’s Beauty Detox Solution. After reading it two years ago, it completely changed my outlook on food, and even how I eat my food on a daily basis. I don’t want to say that it’s a diet book, because it’s so much more than that, but out of every ‘diet’ or eating plan I have tried throughout my life, I have never had more success than I have had with this one. The Beauty Detox Solution is not some type of plan that I follow to a T, but the concepts within, such as food pairing and eating light to heavy, have greatly changed my once poor digestion for the better.
One of the key takeaways from The Beauty Detox Solution that I have personally had great success with was the concept of food pairing. To understand food pairing a little better, I created the cheat sheet below for you, but basically it involves pairing like foods for optimal digestion.
Trust me when I say that it only looks difficult. Once you get the hang of it, it really isn’t difficult at all. A perfect example of food pairing is this Open Face Avocado Sandwich, which is my take on a similar recipe from The Beauty Detox Solution. This sandwich is currently my favorite lunch to eat, and I just love how simple it is overall. Using Food For Life Yeast Free and Gluten Free Multi Seed Bread, this sandwich is not only good for those with a gluten intolerance, but it is also great for those struggling with candida issues. Topped with heart healthy avocado, stone ground mustard, raw organic sauerkraut and zesty clover sprouts, this sandwich is a perfect combination.
- 1 slice yeast free and gluten free bread; toasted (I use Food For Life brand)
- 1 tsp. stone ground mustard
- ½ a ripe avocado; cut into slices
- 1 Tbsp. raw, organic sauerkraut (I use Farmhouse Culture brand from Whole Foods)
- Organic clover sprouts; rinsed and dried
- Dash of cayenne pepper, pink Himalayan salt and fresh ground pepper
- Toast your slice of bread.
- Spread your stone ground mustard in a thin layer onto the bread, then lightly season with cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Top with avocado slices, followed by sauerkraut and clover sprouts.