Just recently, Trader Joe’s opened a location near my home, and having never been to one before, I had no idea what to expect. Trader Joe’s is a colorful and quirky atmosphere, full of unique products you would be hard pressed to find elsewhere. While we have only been less than a handful of times due to the large crowds that seem to accompany any new store, there is one particular buy we found that just can’t be beat. Trader Joe’s Organic Tuscan Kale is pre-cut, pre-washed, ready to eat and a total time saver. The only thing I can find wrong with it is that they don’t cut out the hard stems, but that’s not really a big deal considering how convenient it is for salads, smoothies, soups or whatever else you can think of.
This Strawberry Spring Kale Salad has quickly become one of my favorites, and I think it is definitely one you’ll want to add into your weekly spring/summer meal rotation. The combination of fresh strawberries, blueberries, red onion, purple cabbage, shelled edamame and kale really compliment one another, providing you with an abundance of antioxidants and vitamins all in one dish.
Another added bonus is that it’s also pretty to look at, and I definitely consider that a plus when it comes to the food I eat 😉
- 2 cups organic kale; thinly chopped
- 1 cup organic strawberries; halved
- 1 cup organic blueberries
- ½ cup shelled edamame
- 1 cup purple cabbage; thinly sliced and chopped
- Red onion; thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove; minced
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. raw honey
- ¼ cup raw apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, combine prepared kale, cabbage, onion, edamame, strawberries and blueberries, mixing thoroughly.
- In a small mixing dish, whisk together dijon, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and honey until smooth. Add in garlic and olive oil and whisk until well combined.
- Pour desired amount of dressing over salad and mix to evenly coat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.