When it comes to my favorite cuisines, Mexican food ranks at the top of my list. I could honestly eat Mexican food every single day without ever missing a beat, because nothing puts more joy on my face than a basket of chips and salsa with some guacamole on the side. Mmmm, chips + salsa + guac = pure joy and happiness. It just doesn’t get better than that….(it probably does, but I am easy to please in that sense).
With Cinco De Mayo literally right around the corner, the Mexican foodie within me has decided to whip up some festive greatness in the form of this Simple Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken. That’s right, pull your slow cooker back out, ’cause we aren’t done with it yet.
As you can probably tell from my lack of slow cooker posts, my crock pot didn’t see a whole lot of action this fall/winter, but when it comes to shredded chicken tacos, nothing, I repeat, NOTHING compares to the crock pot in terms of cooking juicy, succulent chicken that pretty much melts in your mouth.
Beyond tasting awesome, this truly is a simple recipe. If you can throw a few things in a dish and forget about them for a few hours, you’re qualified to make this dish. I think it took me a total of 10 minutes tops to put everything together, counting in the time it took for me to prepare the onions, garlic, cilantro and jalapeno.
This versatile chicken is great no matter how you serve it, and makes great leftovers throughout the week. Try it in a taco, over rice, over beans, or whatever you can think of!
- 3-4 boneless, organic chicken breasts
- 1 (16 oz) jar organic, all-natural salsa verde
- 2 (4 oz) cans organic green chilies
- ½ yellow onion; finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- ½ cup low sodium vegetable broth
- ½ a jalapeño; seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro; chopped
- Ground cumin
- Himalayan pink salt
- Garlic powder
- Place green chilies, garlic, onion, jalapeño and cilantro in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Season your chicken breasts (thawed if using frozen) on both sides with some cumin, oregano, garlic powder and Himalayan pink salt, and place on top of your chili/onion mixture.
- Pour in vegetable broth around the sides of the chicken breasts and finish off by topping chicken with the entire jar of salsa verde.
- Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on HIGH for about 3hours, or until chicken is easily shredded apart with a fork.
- Remove finished chicken from the crock pot, and place it into a large bowl. Scoop out ⅔ cup of the liquid and discard.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks.
- Once chicken is shredded, place chicken back into the crock pot with remaining salsa, and adjust seasonings to taste if needed.