It’s the beginning of September and I have already pulled out my slow cooker in anticipation of the fall season.
Don’t get me wrong, I love summer, but there is something magical about fall in my eyes and when it rolls around each year, I try to take full advantage.
Something else I like to take full advantage of when the cooler seasons approach is my slow cooker. Is there really any better invention of convenience? Throw your ingredients in, set it and forget it. Doesn’t get much easier. You don’t have to be a culinary pro to figure it out, but the end result can sure trick people into believing otherwise.
As you might be able to tell from about two posts ago, I have a little bit of a love affair with curry. I love a good vegetable curry and my Bombay Curry Bowl gave you a taste of that using a store-bought curry sauce for a quick, 30-minute meal. This Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Curry is all from scratch for when you have a bit more time, but not much as the crock-pot does the majority of the work for you. The bulk of the work is prepping the veggies, but even then, we are talking 10-15 minutes tops.
The flavors of this recipe are absolutely to die for if you’re a fan of spice, and its base of garbanzo beans, broccoli, sweet potatoes, peppers, quinoa and onion make it a fantastic source of both protein and vitamins.
You could easily eat this on its’ own if you’d like, or put it on top of your grain of choice for a more hearty meal. Brown rice or cauliflower rice would both be fantastic.
Top it off with a little bit of finely sliced green onions for color and enjoy!
- 1.5 cans garbanzo beans; drained and rinsed well
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 can coconut cream (I used Thai Kitchen brand. If you cant find coconut cream, use 2 cans coconut milk)
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 6 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- ⅓ cup dry quinoa
- 1 red pepper; seeds removed and cut into chunks
- 1 yellow pepper; seeds removed and cut into chunks
- ½ large white onion
- 1 tsp. ground curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes (this can be adjusted according to preference or completely omitted if you want it less spicy).
- 1 tsp. liquid aminos
- 1 tsp. red miso paste
- 5 cloves garlic; crushed
- Salt to taste
- Green onions finely sliced to garnish when done
- In your slow cooker, place can of crushed tomatoes and coconut milk in first.
- Add in prepared vegetables and spices.
- Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Set slow cooker to high and cook for 4 – 4.5 hours.
- When finished, serve plain or over your grain of choice and top with finely sliced green onions.