Pasta salad is always amazing, but it is especially great when it is as simple and healthy to throw together as this one is. We are talking 10 minutes tops from beginning to end, and absolutely no cooking time required. It doesn’t get much easier than that when you’re looking for something healthy and quick to eat!
The original recipe hails from the fabulous blog The Simple Veganista. If you have never checked it out before, I highly recommend it! There are tons of gorgeous vegan recipes that I am dying to try out, and I am sure you will feel the same when you go take a look. When I saw this simple zucchini salad, I knew it would be a perfect way to use up the zucchini in my fridge, and it most definitely was. This salad is absolutely delicious, and while it is perfect during any time of the year, this salad would make a particularly great spring or summer dish to keep in mind, especially toward the end of summer when there is a surplus of fresh zucchini.
What stood out to me in particular in this recipe was the use of almond parmesan cheese. This is one I had yet to hear of, but I was totally excited to give it a try, and I am so glad I did! This almond parmesan cheese not only makes it great for those who can’t or don’t do dairy, but it also adds extra protein and minerals that otherwise wouldn’t be there.
To make the almond parmesan cheese:
- Add 1 cup of raw almonds, 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast, 1 tsp. garlic powder and a dash of sea salt to a high speed blender that is capable of creating a fine powder. I use my Ninja Pro which you can find in my store.
- Blend until mixture is the consistency of parmesan cheese.
- Add additional salt/garlic powder/nutritional yeast to taste if needed.
- Store in a sealed, air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 months.
- 2 medium zucchini, julienned or spiralized
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Roughly 15 cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- A few large leaves of basil, julienned
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- A dash of red pepper flakes
- Himalayan sea salt & cracked pepper to taste
- Freshly grated aged parmesan or almond parmesan
- Place prepared vegetables in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle vegetables with olive oil and mix to coat evenly. Season with red pepper flakes, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste.
- Add any additional seasonings you would like.