Healthy, delicious and a great way to get some healthy avocados into your diet, these quinoa stuffed avocados are as refreshing as they are pretty. While they may have a bad reputation for being high in fat, the fat contained in avocados provides health benefits, and helps increase our absorption of fat-soluble nutrients like carotenoids.
This recipe couldn’t be simpler to throw together. Make my recipe for Texas Caviar, and toss 2 cups of the mixture with cooked quinoa (1 cup dry quinoa with 2 cups of vegetable broth) and you have your stuffing mixture. One ripe avocado will make you two stuffed halves, and 1 cup of dry quinoa will yield 3 cups cooked, so plan accordingly to how many you need. Top with a drizzle of the dressing from the Texas Caviar mixture, and finish them off with some sriracha hot sauce and freshly chopped cilantro. The quinoa stuffing will save for a few days in fridge, which makes it an easy and quick lunch to throw together when you’re short on time, and you can use the rest of the Texas Caviar the way it was intended – as a dip! Trust me, it will get gobbled up before you know it.
You will need the recipe for Texas Caviar, and you can find that by clicking here.
- 2 cups of Texas Caviar recipe (link to recipe above)
- 1 cup dry quinoa; soaked and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lime; juiced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro; chopped
- Sriracha hot sauce or hot sauce of your choice
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of vegetable broth to a boil.
- Add in rinsed quinoa and bring mixture back up to a boil. Cover saucepan and turn heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes or until all of liquid is absorbed.
- When finished, remove from heat, remove lid, stir, and set aside to cool. You will want quinoa to cool to room temperature before using it.
- Prepare your Texas Caviar mixture (link to recipe above).
- When quinoa has cooled to room temperature, place quinoa into a large mixing bowl and mix in two cups of the Texas Caviar mixture, making sure to include some of the dressing. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Cut your ripe avocado in half and carefully remove the pit.
- With a large spoon, gently scoop around the edges to scoop out your avocado. Place avocado halves on a plate and coat thoroughly with your lime juice to add extra flavor and prevent the avocado from browning.
- With a spoon, carefully fill your avocado halves with the quinoa mixture.
- Drizzle some of the dressing from the Texas Caviar on top, and finish off with a drizzle of hot sauce and freshly chopped cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!