Whenever Fall starts creeping in, I instantly crave cinnamon like it’s going out of style. It’s comforting, warming and has health benefits to boot. According to World’s Healthiest Foods, ground cinnamon has the ability to control blood sugar levels when used as a seasoning on high carb foods by slowing the rate at which the stomach empties after meals. Along with its’ ability to control blood sugar levels, cinnamon’s scent is thought to boost brain function, which makes it perfect for adding into the morning routine.
Using the Sugar-Free Vegan Icing from my Cinnamon Crunch Cookies recipe, these steel cut oats both taste and look like a fresh baked cinnamon roll, without any refined sugars, dairy or simple carbohydrates that wreak havoc on our bodies. Just simply make up a batch of your favorite steel cut oats, top with unrefined coconut sugar, cinnamon and my Sugar-Free Vegan Icing, and as simple as that, breakfast is ready.
***My Sugar-Free Vegan Icing will save in the fridge in a sealed container for up to two weeks. To make the icing recipe, you will need a high speed blender like a Vitamix or similar for making the powdered sugar. If you do not own a high speed blender, you can use organic powdered cane sugar that you can purchase, but keep in mind that the icing recipe will no longer be sugar-free.***
- 1 recipe for gluten free steel cut oats (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- Unrefined organic coconut sugar to taste
- Ground Cinnamon to taste
- ***Sugar-Free Vegan Icing:***
- 2 Tbsp. Ener-G egg replacer + 4 Tbsp. warm water; whisked together thoroughly
- 3 cups sugar free powdered sugar (recipe below)
- 1.5 Tbsp. vegan cream cheese (I used Daiya)
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ***Sugar-Free Powdered Sugar:***
- 3 cups Xylitol granulated sugar (I used XyloSweet Sugar Substitute)
- 6 tsp. arrowroot or cornstarch to prevent clumping
- Prepare your gluten free steel cut oats according to directions on the package. If you get them from the bin, it is typically a 1:3 ratio of oats to water (1 cup steel cut oats + 3 cups water).
- While your oats are cooking, prepare your icing.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine sifted powder sugar blend (3 cups xylitol + 6 tsp. arrowroot or cornstarch in high-speed blender until sugar is in powder form), vegan cream cheese, prepared Ener-G egg replacer and lemon juice.
- Using an electric mixer or wooden spoon, mix ingredients together until thick, adding in more of the powder sugar blend if it needs to be thicker.
- When your oats are ready, place oats into a bowl and top with unrefined coconut sugar and cinnamon to taste.
- If your icing is too thick to pour, melt it slightly (10 seconds) in the microwave and pour it on top of your oats to finish.
- Serve and enjoy!