Recipe: Natural Vegan Caramel Sauce
Summary: A vegan friendly caramel sauce that hardens. Gluten, dairy and refined sugar free. Ingredients
- 1/2 cup organic sucanat
- 2 Tbsp. brown rice syrup
- 2.5 Tbsp. full fat coconut milk (Thai Kitchen brand); chilled overnight unless already thickened, only using thick white cream on top.
- 1.5 Tbsp Earth Balance Butter Substitute
- 1/8 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Add salt if you want salted caramel
- Cook sugar, syrup and whip cream over medium heat for 5 minutes, whisking continuously. Make sure not to stop whisking or caramel will burn.
- If you want caramel sauce to stay soft and not harden when it touches cold surfaces, do not let the caramel come to a boil. Keep it at 230F (you can check with a candy thermometer). If you would like the caramel to harden up, bring caramel to a boil, but make sure to still continuously stir.
- When finished, stir in Earth Balance butter substitute and vanilla. Whisk thoroughly to mix and use as desired.
Preparation time: 8 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)