Let’s talk bowls. Rice bowls in this particular instance.
They’re filling, they’re hearty and brown rice provides the perfect blank slate to create something amazing.
I discovered just how amazing they can be the other day when I was searching for a healthy, yet filling lunch option. With a base of brown rice, the possibilities are endless, and the concoction I came up with was far too good not to share.
This Rainbow Rice Bowl packs nutrients galore. With vitamin-rich kale, red pepper, red cabbage, carrots and green onions, you get a healthy dose of vitamins K, A, and C, and the black beans pack a punch of protein to keep you moving through your day.
Topped off with chunks of ripe avocado and a splash of oil and vinegar, this salad is lunch (or even dinner) perfection.
Feel free to add some other form of protein to this dish if you desire. Grilled chicken would be amazing, but it definitely doesn’t need it!
For the dressing you can use a mix of oil and red wine vinegar splashed over the salad with a little salt and pepper, but I also really, really like to use the Boar’s Head brand Deli Dressing. You can find it probably in most grocery stores. I highly recommend it with this as it adds the perfect blend of oil, vinegar and spices.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups black beans; drained and rinsed
- 3 cups curly kale; stems removed and finely chopped
- ⅔ cup red cabbage; finely chopped
- 1 red pepper; chopped into small chunks
- 2 green onions; finely chopped
- 1 large carrot; peeled and julienned, then cut into matchsticks
- 1 ripe avocado; cut into chunks
- Oil to taste
- Red wine vinegar to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add cooked rice, drained and rinsed black beans, chopped kale, red pepper, cabbage, green onions and carrots to a large bowl. Add avocado right before serving and mix with dressing.